Wine ("WINdows Emulator", aka "Wine Is Not an Emulator") and it is the Free and Open source utility that is used to run applications designed for Windows OS on Linux/Unix platform. Wine comes with a software library Winelib that lets the coders to compile Windows applications on Linux/Unix platform. Wine has now reached it's latest stable version- Wine 1.6.1 and this article will guide you to install Wine 1.6.1 stable release on your Ubuntu and Linux Mint systems.
- Powerbullet Presenter 1.44: Powerbullet.dll registration fails (Armadillo v4.x software protection fails at checkpoint L5, error 0x17)
- WSAStartup not needed before socket() call
- Mp3Tag: Column headers in list view incorrectly redrawn
- Neverwinter Nights 2 can't detect video adapter properly, claiming: "Your video card has less than 128 MB of video memory"
- Excel Workbook with Macros Is not Running : Getting Crashed.
- Process Hacker 2.x needs ntdll.dll.NtCreateKeyedEvent
- winedbg and its man page should use "wpid" consistently for Windows' process ID
- ImmGetDescriptionW() from imm32 crashes with certain parameters
- qedit/mediadet test crashes on FreeBSD9
- GameShield/SoftwareShield protected apps/games won't start (SetCurrentDirectoryA calling W API causes detours recursion)
- MeGUI 2112 crashes after first update / restart (application XML settings can't be fully deserialized due to oleaut32 VarDecRound being a semi-stub)
- wine(1) man page should mention running built-in programs like explorer.exe
- kernel32.dll.InitOnceExecuteOnce needed for several MS installer (Office2013 / Windows Essentials 2012 / .NET Framework 4.5 / Skydrive / ARM Applications)
- Torchlight 2 shadows are rendered incorrectly on some areas
- iTunes 7 needs msvcr80.dll._wmktemp_s
- measuring/painting strings needs better tests
- .NET Framework 3.5 WPF 3.x apps need windowscodecsext.dll.DllGetClassObject
- Garena didn't start with ADMINISTRATOR privileges
- Spin Tires tech demo needs msvcr90.dll.wctomb_s
- Arabic Entry Box Has Big Errors and many more...
InstallationAdd the repository.
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa
Update the local repository.
sudo apt-get update
Install the package.
sudo apt-get install wine