Wine ("WINdows Emulator", aka "Wine Is Not an Emulator") and it is the Free and Open source utility that is used to run applications designed for Windows OS on Linux/Unix platform. Wine comes with a software library Winelib that lets the coders to compile Windows applications on Linux/Unix platform. Wine has now reached it's latest stable version- Wine 1.7.9 and this article will guide you to install Wine 1.7.9 stable release on your Ubuntu and Linux Mint systems.
What's New in Wine 1.7.9..?
- Improved window moving/resizing in the Mac driver.
- Some DirectDraw palette fixes.
- Reduced code duplication between C++ runtime versions.
- Various bug fixes.
- DirectInput joystick timestamps are wrong
- Need for Speed 2 demo fails on startup, claiming "insufficient memory"
- foobar2000 with foo_facets.dll: clicking popup menu item to display facets pane/view does nothing
- Firefox with Oracle/Sun JRE 6/7 Java plugin fails the verification website of Java
- Combat Arms 3.7 installer html-based UI layout is distorted
- Cannot closed WMP 9 after minimizing.
- Incorrect translation of D3D asm instruction "expp"
- Runscape (web-based Java game) fails to terminate upon user request
- Rome Total War loading screen has incorrect colors, rendered twice
- Sony Vegas has encountered an Error: 'WIA-Manager could not be initialized'
- Platform SDK 2003 web installer download unreliable
- Heroes of Might and Magic V demo doesn't run
- PokerStars crashes/UI remains unresponsive on startup
- Need for Speed Shift demo: movies repeat until you press Enter
- Need for Speed Shift demo: slow framerate on showroom floor
- Boxes are not drawn in Double Dragon Forever
- Filter Forge 2 demo fails to launch with error: ::GetScrollInfo failed. (ExeCryptor protection)
- Saira: some fonts are messed up and many more..
InstallationAdd the PPA.
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa
Update the local repository.
sudo apt-get update
Install the package.
sudo apt-get install wine1.7