Wine ("WINdows Emulator", aka "Wine Is Not an Emulator") and it is the Free and Open source utility that is used to run applications designed for Windows OS on Linux/Unix platform. Wine comes with a software library Winelib that lets the coders to compile Windows applications on Linux/Unix platform. Wine has now reached it's latest stable version- Wine 1.7.11 and this article will guide you to install Wine 1.7.11 stable release on your Ubuntu and Linux Mint systems.
What's New in Wine 1.7.11..?
- Uniscribe support in the RichEdit control.
- Support for condition variables and Slim Reader/Writer locks.
- More D3D command stream preparation work.
- Optional Start Menu in desktop mode.
- Improved support for vertical fonts metrics.
- Various bug fixes.
- F1 button in WinAMP Milkdrop visualization shows garbage instead of the help info
- Frets on fire doesn't start(python issue) [dogfood]
- Garmin MapSource doesn't run anymore after upgrading to the latest version (6.14.1)
- Bombzone won't start
- POI Loader 2.5.x and 2.7.x fail to run
- Guitar Pro 5.2 demo file browser treeview has extraneous ":" item
- WinWULFF (VB6 app) fails on startup, reporting "Run-time error '10': This array is fixed or temporarily locked"
- OLE error 800200009 on EasyWorship 2009 eval version startup
- MSN Messenger Live 2009 (14.0) installer crashes on startup
- Graphical glitches in Big Fish Games client
- Spotify Crashes On Log In
RSA SecurID token v411 crashes on startup
- Depth Hunter crashes when changing video options
- Secret Files 2: hardware mouse pointer corrupted
- Teleglitch: Die More Edition needs msvcr110.dll._libm_sse2_sqrt_precise
- Ys 1 crashes on startup and many more...
InstallationAdd the PPA.
Update the local repository.
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa
Install the package.
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install wine1.7 winetricks