Wine ("WINdows Emulator", aka "Wine Is Not an Emulator") and it is the Free and Open source utility that is used to run applications designed for Windows OS on Linux/Unix platform. Wine comes with a software library Winelib that lets the coders to compile Windows applications on Linux/Unix platform. Wine has now reached it's latest stable version- Wine 1.7.18 and this article will guide you to install Wine 1.7.18 stable release on your Ubuntu and Linux Mint systems.
What's New in Wine 1.7.18..?
- Improved OLE Accessible Object support.
- Window sizing improvements in the Mac driver.
- Fixes for various memory issues found by Valgrind.
- A few more MSHTML functions.
- Some DirectDraw cleanups.
- Various bug fixes.
- IBM Lotus Notes 7.x/8.x: 'File > Preferences > User Preferences...' results in crash
- Grim Fandango hangs if X in 24bpp mode
- mouse corruption in lionheart
- Magic: The Gathering Online 3.x fails to connect/login to server
- Grim Fandango: altered colors
- Powerslide segfaults
- Magic: The Gathering Online 3.0 fails to log in with L0014
- SmartDraw 2009/2010/CI aborts after displaying trial window
- Rosetta Stone Online Spanish (version 0.87594D 221) hangs at "5" during startup
- Problem with starting of wine or winecfg
- Spotify crashes in the mittle of a song and give me a pop-up fault message
- GPS Utility 5.02 fails to connect to GPS device (USB serial) and many more.
InstallationAdd the PPA.
Update the local repository.
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa
Install the package.
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install wine1.7 winetricks