Wine ("WINdows Emulator", aka "Wine Is Not an Emulator") and it is the Free and Open source utility that is used to run applications designed for Windows OS on Linux/Unix platform. Wine comes with a software library Winelib that lets the coders to compile Windows applications on Linux/Unix platform. Wine has now reached it's latest stable version- Wine 1.7.19 and this article will guide you to install Wine 1.7.19 stable release on your Ubuntu and Linux Mint systems.
What's New in Wine 1.7.19..?
- New JSProxy DLL for automatic proxy configuration
- More OLE Accessible Object support
- Improvements to the XML writer
- Fixes for various memory issues found by Valgrind
- Initial headers for Direct2D support
- Various bug fixes.
- Multiple apps refuse to install, complain about registry security (The 4th coming, Google Pack Installer expect a non-null DACL)
- Battery visualization not working in WMP9
- SHELL_FindExecutable breaks "mailto:" URL
- RpcBindingSetAuthInfo(Ex) fails with RPC_C_AUTHN_GSS_NEGOTIATE (Outlook 2007 connecting to Exchange server)
- Winamp Equalizer and playlist keeps always on top
- Counter-Strike: Source (Steam) crashes when joining game
- Dramatica Demo 4.0 file open dialog has the file name text box cursor in an incorrect position
- Gears of War fails on startup
- C&C Red Alert 3: black screen when Shadow Quality > Low
- Counter-Strike: Source (Steam): background artefacts
- Deus Ex: Invisible War crashed upon loading the main menu.
- fr-minus-012 hangs without doing seemingly anything
- ICQ 6.x fail to load
- Radio Manager 1.4 (.NET 2.0 app) fails on startup
- Wolfenstein (2009)(Steam): mouse cursor remains onscreen during FPS gameplay even after all menus are closed.
- HuluDesktop 0.9.x fails to start
- Left 4 Dead 2 (Steam) crashes trying to join a multiplayer game
- Lord of the Rings online: keyboard input doesn't work after the window was restored
- Supreme Commander 2 Demo (Steam) has some rendering artifacts and many more.
InstallationAdd the PPA.
Update the local repository.
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa
Install the package.
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install wine1.7 winetricks