As we all know, Latest stable version of Linux Mint OS which is Linux Mint 17 having a codename Qiana has been released and is available for download with two desktop environments viz. Cinnamon and Mate. Just like Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr, Linux Mint 17 (Qiana) will be officially supported till 2019. This tutorial will help you in upgrading to Linux Mint 17 Qiana from Linux Mint 16 Petra.
- Much Improved Update Manager
- Driver Manager: Now, one can install the driver packages with no need of internet connection.
- Login Screen: Improved Multi-Monitor Support, with improved HiDPI support and recovery command.
- Languages: Easy to select languages and add more of them.
- Welcome Screen: Now uses very less resources and launches pretty faster.
- GUI: Cinnamon 2.2 with much consistent looks.
- Kernel: Linux Kernel 3.13 with Ubuntu 14.04 package base.
- Added attractive backgrounds and photographs.
- Menu: "Uninstall" with a right-click.
Upgrade from Linux Mint 16 (Petra)
1. Make sure that the version of Linux Mint you are using is Linux Mint 16 Petra. You can check this by executing any of the following commands in Terminal.
$ sudo cat /etc/issue $ sudo cat /etc/issue.net
2. Once you confirm the Linux Mint version you are using, you can proceed to the upgrade procedure. But, before doing so, you are advised to take backup of certain files related to repository sources, so that, if something goes wrong, we can revert back the changes easily. These files are
$ sudo cp /etc/apt/sources.list /etc/apt/sources.list.bkp $ sudo cp /etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-package-repositories.list /etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-package-repositories.list.bkp $ sudo cp /etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-source-repositories.list /etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-source-repositories.list.bkp
3. Now, in all of the above mentioned files along with
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/getdeb.listfile, replace every occurrence of "saucy" with "trusty" and "petra" with "qiana". For our convenience, we make use of
sedcommand as follows.
4. Now, it's time to upgrade to Linux Mint 17 Qiana.
$ sudo sed -i 's/saucy/trusty/' /etc/apt/sources.list $ sudo sed -i 's/petra/qiana/' /etc/apt/sources.list $ sudo sed -i 's/saucy/trusty/' /etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-package-repositories.list $ sudo sed -i 's/petra/qiana/' /etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-package-repositories.list $ sudo sed -i 's/saucy/trusty/' /etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-source-repositories.list $ sudo sed -i 's/petra/qiana/' /etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-source-repositories.list $ sudo sed -i 's/saucy/trusty/' /etc/apt/sources.list.d/getdeb.list $ sudo sed -i 's/petra/qiana/' /etc/apt/sources.list.d/getdeb.list
$ sudo apt-get update $ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade $ sudo apt-get upgrade
During the upgrade process, you will be asked certain questions related to Config files and Services restart, you are advised to type "Y".
After the completion of upgrade process, reboot your system by executing
sudo rebootcommand. The check the OS version installed in your system by issuing any of the commands mentioned in Step 1.