Wine ("WINdows Emulator", aka "Wine Is Not an Emulator") and it is the Free and Open source utility that is used to run applications designed for Windows OS on Linux/Unix platform. Wine comes with a software library Winelib that lets the coders to compile Windows applications on Linux/Unix platform. Wine has now reached it's latest stable version- Wine 1.7.23 and this article will guide you to install Wine 1.7.23 stable release on your Ubuntu and Linux Mint systems.
What's New in Wine 1.7.23..?
- Better support for files drag & drop.
- Improvements to the HTTP cookie management.
- Initial support for 64-bit Android builds.
- Fixes to crypto certificates management.
- Various bug fixes.
- "Trial" button doesn't show in main menu of Nick's "Diego's Wolf Pup Rescue"
- Adobe InDesign CS4 (version 6) crashes on launch
- Certain keyboard buttons not working in Operation Flashpoint and Fallout (2 and 3)
- Icy Tower 1.4 crashes when moving its window
- Stem Cell engine Oil Platform Demo hangs without displaying anything
- Dark Age of Camelot patcher crashes from page fault
- Strange Cases: The Lighthouse Mysteries crashes
- Notepad++ does not receive drag+drop files in KDE, seems to work in GNOME
- USPS shipping assistant version 3.8 won't start (Microsoft SQL Server Compact database metadata incorrectly decrypted, enh. RSA AES-128 provider)
- Win7 File Open dialog fails to fill in the OPENFILENAME structure
- Alien Shooter crashes when dying, no backtrace
- Unsupported symbol id warnings when backtracing with Visual C 2010 .pdb files
- SigmaPlot 11.0 fails to start
- .Net 2.0 Installation Fail
- Desura fails to update
- Wine not run applications and scram the incons do Xfce, and many more.
InstallationAdd the PPA.
Update the local repository.
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa
Install the package.
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install wine1.7 winetricks