Wine ("WINdows Emulator", aka "Wine Is Not an Emulator") and it is the Free and Open source utility that is used to run applications designed for Windows OS on Linux/Unix platform. Wine comes with a software library Winelib that lets the coders to compile Windows applications on Linux/Unix platform. Wine has now reached it's latest stable version- Wine 1.7.24 and this article will guide you to install Wine 1.7.24 stable release on your Ubuntu and Linux Mint systems.
What's New in Wine 1.7.24..?
- Beginning of some DirectWrite classes implementation.
- Initial wrapper dll for the packet capture library.
- Some crypto improvements.
- Various bug fixes.
- Crash when launching winning eleven 8
- FC_Edit fails to initialize
- CoDeSys 3.2 (Patch2) development environment does not work
- Archlord Episode 3 Client crashes on startup (decrypting files with a RC4 session key derived from MD5 hash fails, only 40 bits are used, salt is dropped) Anarchy Online: First run has messed up graphics and pointer
- Anarchy Online fullscreen followes you when you switch desktops
- Standalone version of DivX fails to install
- Multiple applications and games need support for shell32 FOLDERID_LocalAppDataLow (.NET based Unity Engine games, Java JRE 6 in Vista mode)
- AV Voice Changer Software Diamond 7.0 (VcsCore.exe) crashes on startup Letters from Nowhere 2 demo: 'play trial' button does not work
- Magicka crashes a few seconds after title screen
- REALTEK 11n USB Wireless LAN Driver installer crashes
- wine explorer crashes on startup
- Assassin's Creed Brotherhood v1.03 needs "Saved Games" folder
- Unknown program crashes on start
- Serif WebPlus X2 and X5 crash on startup in mshtml
- CCleaner 3.19 won't start, err:seh:setup_exception stack overflow and many more.
InstallationAdd the PPA.
Update the local repository.
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa
Install the package.
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install wine1.7 winetricks