Wine ("WINdows Emulator", aka "Wine Is Not an Emulator") and it is the Free and Open source utility that is used to run applications designed for Windows OS on Linux/Unix platform. Wine comes with a software library Winelib that lets the coders to compile Windows applications on Linux/Unix platform. Wine has now reached it's latest stable version- Wine 1.7.25 and this article will guide you to install Wine 1.7.25 stable release on your Ubuntu and Linux Mint systems.
What's New in Wine 1.7.25..?
- Implementation of the packet capture library.
- A few more DirectWrite functions.
- Improvements in HTML table support.
- More VBScript math functions.
- Various bug fixes.
- Medieval total war demo crashes with builtin amstream
- "native" (Microsoft) MSI does not work with wine 0.9.18
- Space Empires V 1.44 crashes
- Irfanview crashes in thumbnail mode when previewing certain text file
- Creative ZENcast Organizer installer fails with error -5002
- Skype 3.5 only works in "Win95" mode
- Thief: Deadly Shadows crashes immediately
- Many apps and games need SetNamedPipeHandleState implementation (support for named pipe message mode)(FireFox+Flash, Win8/NET 4.x SDK/vcrun2012, WiX installers)
- JFlothows Wuerfel crashes with BAD_DRAWABLE "Cannot get FB Config for iPixelFormat 0"
- DVDDecrypter 18.104.22.168 fails to detect CDROM drive with 'WinVer' set >= 'Windows 2000' (expects '\Device\Cdrom' in NT object manager namespace)
- Registering after installing Roblox doesn't work
- KeePass 1.09 crashes opening password database due to unimplemented bcrypt.dll.BCryptOpenAlgorithmProvider
- Crash in Tales of Monkey Island
- Python 2.6/2.7 crashes during run of 'PyInstaller' packaging application
- CDBurnerXP 4.0.x exits with Wine-Mono when trying to enter data disc mode (needs COM/ActiveX host support)
- Bonzai3D crashes and freezes when project window is moved
- OriginPro 8.0 crashes on startup
- Some objects in Source games are black and many more.
InstallationAdd the PPA.
Update the local repository.
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa
Install the package.
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install wine1.7 winetricks